EDID auto resets on my setup

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
jamalofearth
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

EDID auto resets on my setup

Post by jamalofearth »

Hey yall,

I am setting up an art installation on Monday and am running into an issue using EDIDs for the first time.

I am using…
- MBP, Monterey, 2021, m1
- 2 Optoma 1090 projectors
- 2 HDMI EDID managers (I don’t want to post a Amazon link but they are from, CMSTEDCD: HDMI EDID Emulator Manager 4K Prophecy 8 EDID Modes Programmable EDID Copier Amplifies Equalizes Signal 4K @60Hz HDMI 2.0b HDCP2.2 18Gbps HDR YUV 4:4:4 CEC)

The goal is to play one 4k video across two projectors and have them run for one month on a Mac mini. The gallery manager would simply have to just shut projectors on and off to activate the installation.

The problem is, as I try to recreate it, my system is resetting one of the EDIDs. Check my attached images. I noticed this on my Mac display settings as well. I notice a flash where one projector leaves and comes back.

This resets my Resolume advanced output for the second screen back to “virtual output”. Only one of the projectors is able to pick back up.

I have narrowed it down to one of the particular EDIDs.

I have ran multiple tests and scenarios but this happens no matter what combination I try.

Does anyone have experience with this and or has a possible solution?

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.07.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.07.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.07.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 1.06.46 PM.png

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: EDID auto resets on my setup

Post by He2neg »

Did you make sure both edid minders work correct?

This can be as you tell us here when there is just one broken device ;)

also make sure both are facing the right direction,
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

jamalofearth

Post by jamalofearth »

Yes, technically, both work. They turn on and my laptop and Resolume do read them.

I did confirm both are facing the right way. I made this mistake my first time and if they are facing the wrong direction, the laptop does not even detect them.

Update on my end - I ordered a new EDID manager, same brand and same model. It arrived today and I tested it.

The same issue happens. It leads me to believe it cant be the EDID manager. I also tried it with different combinations like switching HDMI cords, switching EDID managers and switching projectors. I also tried doing only one and confirming it works and then adding a second. Anything a second EDID is added into the equation, it goes bad.

I wonder if it has anything to do with using two of the same models and using them on two of the same projector models.

Maybe mac os is getting confused in the naming convention in some way?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

For install's use SDI not HDMI.
(1) you're most likely running SDI for distance from control room to install so this cuts down on converters. And most pro projectors have SDI built in or as an option card.
(2) there is no resetting to virtual output problem with them, they are the end device Resolume see's and what is on the other end of the cable doesn't matter to resolume.
(3) probably cheaper than a beefy additional GPU (if applicable)

I prefer AJA (not a fan of BMD in general). The corvid line is great for sync'd outputs, but if you're not mosaic'ing to make 1 canvas, any AJA or BMD card will work. BMD does not have a sync option.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

the sdi solution would be the pro way yes...

back to topic: to what outputs do you connect the two lines?
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

jamalofearth

Post by jamalofearth »

Arvol -
Thanks for your info on SDI. That is very new to me so I would have to study into it much more. My projector does not seem to have SDI options.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma ... .htm#specs
I also was planning to put the mac mini right above the projector on a floating shelf as there really is no control room in the 400 square feet gallery room.

He2neg
- Check out the attached outline. I hope this can answer your question.

Thanks for the advice. This has been a great learning experience so far! :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 11.13.24 AM.png

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I've used these in the past. Where it connects directly to the GPU and the end point device connects to it. this way your computer never looses it's edid handshake (and the dial lets me set the resolution i need). this will prevent the screens being set to virtual. I wonder why your devices are not holding the handshake?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... emale.html

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Is it allways the same physical output that loses the signal... sometimes not all plugs a wired identical inside the machine..
~Berlin~

jamalofearth

Post by jamalofearth »

Update here...

I did get 2 EVanlak Hdmi Edid Emulators and this pretty much solved the problem.

When I tried it with only one, it would still happen.

I guess it could be something in particular with the EDID managers vs EDID emulators.

Not sure but the issue is solved and my display settings on mac and Resolume don't lose handshake on the restart of projectors.

Someone else in another forum had mentioned it is a known mac OS issue.

Thanks much for both your help and insight! very much appreciate it :)

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Even on windows, if you lose connection to an output Resolume will change it's output to virtual. The ONLY way around this is to use an edid emulator to hold the handshake regardless of what's on the other end of it, or use a SDI output card. (Or NDI and then use NDI receivers, same principle as SDI but with a bigger price tag and more latency ;) )