Clicking on a slider should move playhead (not cursor to playhead)

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
kai
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Clicking on a slider should move playhead (not cursor to playhead)

Post by kai »

Currently:
Clicking on a slider moves the mouse cursor to the current value. I see no benefit in the behaviour. Also, I am unaware where this occurs in any other program ever outside of the toggle-able option of moving the mouse cursor automatically to a popup dialog box
Having to click exactly on the playhead to then pick it up to move it isn't ideal. Maybe this is why this UX was implemented, but in reality it is just the wrong way to solve this issue of moving the playhead.

Feature Request:
  • Clicking anywhere along the slider should instead move the playhead of that slider to the current position that is being clicked. Clicking a dragging should immediately move the playhead to that location and also follow the mouse cursor movement until the mouse button is let go of.
Additional Niceties:
  • Scroll bar like behaviour could be an option. Where similar to clicking on scroll bars inside of programs performs essentially a "page down" you could have the option to have clicking the slider area moves the playhead toward the clicked area a certain amount. Maybe clicking with a modifier key performs this action (example: shift click)

Additional Notes:

Never should a UX implementation move the mouse cursor to a different screen location entirely simply in response to a mouse click.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Clicking on a slider should move playhead (not cursor to playhead)

Post by Zoltán »

I assume you have never done a show and clicked on a timeline accidentally just to have the clip jump to the position, and have the show messed up.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

ya indeed... that is a very important security feature :!: :!:
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 21:25 I assume you have never done a show and clicked on a timeline accidentally just to have the clip jump to the position, and have the show messed up.
Ha! I've seen this happen a few times.

Zenithik
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Zenithik »

Agree with everyone else. Moving the cursor to the playhead is best for safety reasons on live shows. That being said, it would be cool to add this as a toggle in the settings.
Jayson Esguerra
Seattle, WA
Currently working with G Jones & Deathpact

kai

Post by kai »

This is why it needs to be an option. Also, the "performance / Creator Mode" feature request pairs well with this.

In creator mode it is more important to have smooth workflow, quick edits, and minimize time it takes to build projects.
I get it is to minimize the accidental clicks. Instantly when I was frustrated with trying to create with this limitation I thought of this, but realistically does Resolume want to be a creation tool or a video player? Adding things to the preferences menu seems to be an allergy.
I keep trying to maintain a decent perspective. I understand that there is a aversion to adding options though for users and the one way only mentality because we need to justify why things are a certain way is deep within this community.
I encourage people to understand that not everyone works the same way. Not everyone creates everything outside of Resolume and imports everything as mov clips for Resolume to just be a video playlist.
Last edited by kai on Thu Aug 10, 2023 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

kai

Post by kai »

The fact this playhead behaviour is also in Resolume Alley is wild. It is so difficult in Alley to trim video compared to any other video software. The only reason is the DXV support.

I'm surprised I only got 4 replies of "but but but live show accidental clicks!!!!"
I expected more. Y'all are letting me down.

fhughes

Post by fhughes »

I am not sure how "creator mode" is any different than normal mode, aside from the ability to choose custom colors.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

kai wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 22:18 The fact this playhead behaviour is also in Resolume Alley is wild. It is so difficult in Alley to trim video compared to any other video software. The only reason is the DXV support.

I'm surprised I only got 4 replies of "but but but live show accidental clicks!!!!"
I expected more. Y'all are letting me down.
:cry: