Use MIDI to load a different Composition?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
PatrelRushlock
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Use MIDI to load a different Composition?

Post by PatrelRushlock »

Greetings!

I'll start with a quote so that I don't feel like I'm mistaken about my understanding:

"A Composition is a complete Resolume setup with sets of clips, assigned effects, parameter settings and control shortcuts. Switching compositions takes some time, so you’ll want to prepare a complete performance as a single composition"

I'm a guitarist in a performing band and I'm using my pedal board to send MIDI to control Resolume. It's working GREAT. I have a pretty full composition and I will soon need more space.

Each song has multiple parts (verse, chorus, lead, etc), so I serve up vids for most of those parts. 5 vids for each song quickly adds up. 25 songs and I can see the "wall". The band will need more like 35 songs. So, a "...complete performance..." within a single Composition is not optimal.

I created a copy of my existing Composition and kept all the midi shortcuts while deleting 99% of the vids from the cells. A blank slate for future expansion.

Since set lists are somewhat dynamic, I'd like to be able to send midi commands from my pedal board to load specific Compositions, as commanded.

I tried the "Edit midi" but couldn't figure out how to swap Compositions with a midi command.

If what I'm asking is possible, can someone please provide instructions?

Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Use MIDI to load a different Composition?

Post by Arvol »

Use your MIDI to change Decks.

PatrelRushlock

Post by PatrelRushlock »

It is my understanding that a "Deck" is simply one of the stacked columns of Layers. Here's a quote:

"Deck
The clips in a composition are divided into Decks for easy access to the clips that you want, when you want them. Switching decks is quick and does not interrupt playback, so you can switch between decks while performing."

It is also my understanding that there are 127 Decks (Columns) in a Composition.

I'm already using midi to switch between Decks, but I'm about to run out of Decks in my first Composition. The first Composition can easily support all the Decks that I want to use for about 25 songs. Bands play a set, which is 13 to 15 songs, take a break, and come back out to play another set, and even sometimes take a second break and come back out for a 3rd set.

Even if I only played 3 vids per song, with 45 songs, that would require 135 Decks. But remember, Resolume only has 127 per Composition.

I would like to set up a way to use midi to load a different Composition. You might say "just load the Composition for the second set during the first break." That won't work well enough.

Here's why: the order and selection of songs is dynamic. One gig might start with a different song than the previous gig. Heck, we might see the dance floor get packed in the 2nd set and decide, on the fly, to pull in some of the other danceable songs from the 3rd set.

So...is there a way to use midi to load a different Composition?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

columns are unlimited. I personally have over 1000.
Decks are like comps, they are located at the bottom of your comp as tabs (think of excel)

Personally I prefer to have a column fired for each part of a song, then have 4-5 columns per song. then have one deck with a lot of columns and then midi can go between each of them using a single CC (one mapping)
https://resolume.com/support/en/midi-sh ... #using-ccs

but if you need a new comp for each song (i don't see why?) then decks are your friend :)

PatrelRushlock

Post by PatrelRushlock »

Ah ha!

Thanks! I'll figure out how to add more columns (should be relatively easy) and then simply change the midi channel to access those additional columns. The only trick will be a simple midi map in midiOx to get DMXIS to switch correctly.

All of my scene changes (DMX and vids) are superfluous actions created by events that accompany actual guitar sound changes. On the Helix, these are known as Snapshots, and the Helix Command Center makes this possible. Not only does a Snapshot allow guitar sound changes, it also allows sending midi in conjunction.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Resolume is not limited to 127 decks as far as I know.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

PatrelRushlock

Post by PatrelRushlock »

Zoltan, you are absolutely correct.

I've learned quite a bit since posting this question. The simple workaround was to insert more Columns (aka Decks) after the default 128. Then, I created midi mappings on alternate channels to access those Decks. It's working fine.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Decks are "Tabs" at the bottom of your clip window. Columns are just Columns.

Glad you got it sorted :)

faaslave

Post by faaslave »

Hello Patrel,

I am brand new to this and wanting to do something similiar to what you were asking about. My thought is to make some columns for each song and have then switched by midi on my ipad. I use Onsong, so that could send a midi code when I switch to a new song. Not sure how I would trigger any midi changes during a song. We usually play anywhere from 20 to 44 somgs a gig, and have anout 120 songs we can perform. Any advise on you ended up handling things would be appreciated. I have Avenue not Arena.

Thanks,

Dave