'By Position Layer' MIDI mapping

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

'By Position Layer' MIDI mapping

Post by mowgli »

As described on this thread:
https://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopi ... hilit=midi

Adding "By position Layer" to the MIDI target would enable way more control possibilities.
I find it to be such an obvious functionality that I'm very surprised that it hasn't always been there.

As an example, it would allow the use of cue points & beatlooper of clips playing on different layers without having to select them first. Having to select a clip first is a complete flow destroyer as it is not possible to beat-juggle for example.

Since 2018 I keep finding myself at this dead end when trying to optimise my controllerist workflow to create extremely performative VJ and AV solutions.

mowgli

Re: 'By Position Layer' MIDI mapping

Post by mowgli »

I started using a workaround for this. Basically I first map select layer to a knob/button and then whichever parameter I want to control to the same knob/button.
While it works, it's not 100% reliable and it involves double the MIDI mapping.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

Here's a tutorial for the workaround:
phpBB [video]

NEWP_Official
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by NEWP_Official »

The layer panel should feature an Active Clip Dashboard Dial section that does just this. Separate from Layer Dashboard Dials. The Active Clip Dashboard Dials should be found just below the Layer Dashboard Dials on the Layer Panel and they should automatically pull names from the Clip Dashboards as well provide bidirectional control of the clip dashboards from the clip panel or layer panel.

See my YouTube comment regarding scrubbing: to scrub the active clip of a given layer without selecting that clip has existed since Resolume 6 or earlier.
Go into View > Shortcuts > Show Layer Transport Controls and in the Layer Headers a Transport control will be exposed that can be midi mapped that scrubs any active clip on the given layer