Yes, MSI laptop issues.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Crum
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Yes, MSI laptop issues.

Post by Crum »

HI,

I'm hoping to run Resolume Arena v5 on my MSI GS60 laptop. It's the i7 6700 version with the GTX 970m 6GB VRAM. 8GB DDR4 RAM. HDMi/mini DP/USBc outputs.

Currently playing the stock content from the HDD (i know...I know. I'll get an SSD if I can improve the performance on this laptop). Resolume is running on the m.2 (C:)drive

With one external monitor attached it was hit and miss whether I could get the display to go full screen. Sometimes it would crash. I could play a stock content clip on the laptop display only at 59/60 fps. If I got the second output playing the fps would drop to anywhere from 15 to 40 fps.

My drivers are up to date and I have the Nvidia settings set to use the Nvidia card in general and for Resolume (though it calls it Total War). MSI laptops (or mine at least) has a led ring around the power button which is blue when the Intel card is running and amber for the Nvidia. It is amber when running Resolume.

I've uninstalled Nahimic and it seems to have fixed the crashing but the fps is still around the 30-40. I don't expect mirracles from a mobile graphics card, but my 2012 Macbook pro plays stock content steady at 59/60 fps.

Is Resolume known to have issues with Optimus?

Can someone give me some decent advice please?

Ta very much!

Crum

Re: Yes, MSI laptop issues.

Post by Crum »

Ok, so it isn't crashing since I uninstalled Nahimic, but the fps was still going from 30's to 40's. Should I be seeing something more stable ?

I just noticed that if I slide the auido fader down in the layer mix, the fps goes from 40 to over 100 fps, but never sits still.

Crum

Post by Crum »

Diagonal tearing occurs a lot too. Have played around with the Nvidia driver settings (including v.sync) but couldn't make it better or worse.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Could you please contact us with your log file? You can use the Feedback tab in the preferences to do so.

Please and thank you.

Crum

Post by Crum »

Done. Thanks

thomas_gotcha

Post by thomas_gotcha »

I have the same problem with the diagonal tearing on my MSI Apache, GTX960M
is there a solution?

thomas_gotcha

Post by thomas_gotcha »

I have the same problem with the diagonal tearing (top left to bottom right) on my MSI GE62 6QD Apache PRO, GTX960M
is there a solution for this problem, the tearing occurs on fast changing visuals
And when I change from my HDMI to DP the diagonal is from botom left to top right

DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DHoude »

Have a read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12543

There allot of people with diagonal screen tearing concerns. But it is not Resolume. No real solid fix for it that I know of, but here is what has been tried so far. Feel free to add to it.

DirtImperial

Post by DirtImperial »

Hey guys, just wanted to add my issue to the list.

I am a content designer and I just handed off over an hour of visuals for a band to their lighting designer. I recommended they buy a 2015 Razer Blade Pro and a license for Arena v5 which they did. We queued the whole show with a lighting desk driving video cues in Resolume over Artnet. While we were queuing the show I noticed the diagonal tearing on our output monitor but never on the Razer's monitor. It was only happening on certain high intensity visuals. The footage had multiple framerates, 24, 25 and 29.97 fps. But the tearing wasn't consistent across frame rates as much as it was complexity and speed.

I'm guess as this thread is kind of old no one found a solution?

They've now called me back from the tour and it is appearing on the projection, so I'm kind of at a loss as how to fix it. Thought maybe it was a refresh rate mismatch between the GTX 960m and the display? Anyway, help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

DirtImperial

Post by DirtImperial »

Nevermind, should have dug into the other thread. It has a solution!

It's the Aero theme creating issues with secondary displays and video playback.

You can fix the tearing by minimizing Resolume's interface, obviously not ideal. Or you can change the theme to something lighter like High-Contrast.

Hope that helps someone.