4K Triplewide (MAC) to input on PC

Bro, does your rig even lift?
andrewluki
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

4K Triplewide (MAC) to input on PC

Post by andrewluki »

Hey everyone!

First post, so here goes. I've looked into this over the past months, but am getting lost a bit. Don't have our Resolume PC yet, but need to plan ahead and buy cards etc asap.

Situation. We are wanting to get a triplewide (3840 x 720) output from a Mac INTO our Resolume PC. What's the best way to go about this? HDMI out into a 4k input card? Is there something that can screengrab and send as input over a local network? The content will be played via ProPresenter on the Mac, and are wanting to have that fed into Resolume in some way (triplewide format if possible).

Then I come across Syphon and Spout, and NDI software. Can that help in some way?
We will be using Resolume to output a triplewide image via 3 projectors (which are being fed by a Datapath x4)

Thanks ladies and gents!

manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: 4K Triplewide (MAC) to input on PC

Post by manuelgazzo »

If your triplewide output comes from one single output (4k for ex), use a 4k capture card.
If your triplewide output comes from a triplehead, use 3 capture cards (one for each). However, i believe that with this last option you may get a slight delay between sources.
Not sure how syphon / spout works on propresenter´s side. Works great on Resolume´s side. I believe Newtek´s NDI works only on windows for now.

Not sure why you just don´t play your content on one of those softwares and output right away.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

you could try TCPSyphon and TCPSpout
and there are also NDI bridges for Syphon and Spout
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

As far as I know, 4K capture cards will not be able to take a 3840x720 input because it's not a broadcast resolution so you'll have to add 3840x1440 band of video black and send 3840x2160 or send three separate 1280x720 signals.
manuelgazo wrote:I believe Newtek´s NDI works only on windows for now.
Not true, NDI works on both MacOS and Windows. Take a look at this link with a bunch of NDI tools for MacOS.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

UPDATE: I just tested receiving a 3840x720 NDI signal in Arena 5 on a PC via NDI to Spout and it works no problems.

Just keep in mind that setting a wired network with a 1 Gb switch will make things run smoothly.

The only catch will be your audio feed since Syphon doesn't support audio.