TouchOSC and toggle button

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
benasp
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

TouchOSC and toggle button

Post by benasp »

Hi,

first, sorry for my bad English… ;)

I try to use TouchOSC on iPad for the first time, and for a simple use : launch clip on a same layer. Everything works great with some push buttons !
But, is it possible to have the clip in use with « light on » on TouchOSC ? I try to do that with toggle button, but when I switch from clip 1 to clip 2 (for example), button 2 light on, and button 1 ’s light stay on too…
How TouchOSC can understand when I press button « Clip 2 », the first one is automatically switch off ?
Or maybe can I create a LED object which scan clip status ? Clip active=led on, clip inactive=led off. Is it possible to do that ?

I hope you understand what I say… :-)
Thank you for your help!

Ben

BradSitton

Re: TouchOSC and toggle button

Post by BradSitton »

I am having the same issue.
I want OSC on my iPad to show which clips are currently playing. When selected a button staying lit until the next clip is selected.
In Resolume 5 I could do this with Midi. But now in R6 that is acting funny too. Is this possible with OSC on R6?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

OSC and MIDI changed a lot in R6. To get all the fancy color options on your MIDI controller, you now have access to 5 states that represent what a clip is doing: Empty, Disconnected, Previewing, Connected, Connected and Previewing

The problem is that the state of the clip is not the same as the trigger for that clip. A clip can change state without being triggered and you can trigger a clip without changing its state.

Using OSC, you can listen to "/composition/layers/1/clips/1/connected". Notice the 'ed' at the end. This address will tell you which of the 5 states the clip is in.

Similarly, you send "/composition/layers/1/clips/1/connect" to trigger the clip. Notice there's no 'ed' at the end. The value you send is either 1 or 0. Sending 0 for a trigger sounds kind of silly, but this is like the mouse, where you have a mouse down and a mouse up. This is so a clip in piano mode will also work with OSC.

So to get your OSC controller to both send the correct message, and show the right state, it needs to send and listen to different addresses. I don't think this is possible in TouchOSC. I'm sorry if this all sounds needlessly complicated, but there is no easy way to get this to work without losing the extra functionality.

rmn gee

Post by rmn gee »

Since we have version 7 for quite a long time. I'd like to raise the same question again. Has something change with the OSC triggering of clips and decks? Is it possible to light up the OSC button when the clip is connected and turn it down, when the next one is triggered?

KaTiWoSa

Post by KaTiWoSa »

Hi, I'm pretty new to OSC but yes, I think you can achieve this like follow (that is how I do it):

In this example I have 2 buttons, "Button One" and "Button Two"
These two buttons send midi messages.

If I want to toggle Button One on and Button Two off when Button One is toggled On:

-Select Button One in the editor and add a message of type "Local" with the following settings:

Enabled: Yes
Trigger: select "Touch" - "Rise" (leave "x" unselected)
Source: "0" - "Constant"
Target: "X" - "Botton Two" (Select the eyedropper to select the destination button)
Scale: leave default
Conversion: "Boolean"

If you want the same happening for Button Two, you have to adopt these settings.
If you have lots of buttons to interact with eachother... Good luck :-)
Last edited by KaTiWoSa on Mon Jan 22, 2024 15:56, edited 1 time in total.