Output flickering

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Output flickering

Post by cosmowe »

@Arvol:
I would carefully say... When you decide go all in "directwise" into a topic, you should read the whole thread I guess ;)

And you should defiantly download the videos of user "Ergin Pasali" and have a look at the *.15 clip.
There you can see that this kind of flicker issue is not related to a LED wall.

Cheers!
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

kapil8589
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by kapil8589 »

It isn't a led wall issue. This is for sure because the moment you switch a system which isn't running resolume things work without any glitch on the screen .

Can someone please help me ? Guys at resolume, please help. I really need a solution to this as I cannot afford these issues happening on the screen in the events I do.

Please help me

mr_angelback
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by mr_angelback »

Hey Guys!

I just wanna chime in and say that we're experiencing the exact same issue!

I can also confirm that it doesn't have anything to do with release version. We're running this on an old release, 7.3.3 (I know, we should upgrade, but hasn't seen the need yet.. :roll: ).
I did update to 7.6.1 (latest version on our license), but still have the same issue.

I thought, like some others here, that our graphics card was starting to give up, so I moved our install to another computer, but after just a short while I saw the same issue from that computer too.

What I've noticed in all posts here is that everyone is running Nvidia GPUs, and so are we.

What if there is something in some of the latest nvidia drivers that is not working correctly with the resolume software?

Next week when I'm at work I'm gonna try to downgrade my graphics drivers to an older version (a year or so ago) and see if that works!
I'll let you guys know if that resolves the issue..

--
Toby

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

There wont be a fast fix for this... you need to test things by yourself.

- First: Find a situation where it flickers reliable. So you have a testpoint!
- Second: Try older Versions of Resolume
- Third: Downgrade your Graphics-driver

When you found a solution which works for you... please share it here.

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

ryanpeddycoart
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ryanpeddycoart »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 09:57 Vsync on?
How does a driver from a year ago or later behave?
Do you see a difference with DMA textures in Resolume video preferences on vs off?
How about doing a clean driver install, and ignoring the installation of the Arena preset on startup?
I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been out since you posted this. I'll look into this set of questions tonight and provide an update on this post. Odd as it may be, 7.13.2 mostly stopped the issue for a day or two. It started to show up more prominently again after that. 7.16 seems to be behaving itself right now.

We did do a clean driver install prior to posting the first time, but we didn't ignore the Arena preset when prompted. I will do so if I see the issue again. This is sort of difficult to troubleshoot in steps because I can't reliably replicate the issue on demand. It comes and goes, and I have yet to find a reliable way to cause it to occur. I wish I had a better answer for that bit.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

brightpipe wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 22:56 I have the same issue so I'll throw in some info that hopefully will help troubleshoot.

For me the first time I saw it was at an event at the end of November last year.

I actually had 2 deployments at that show.

Both PCs were Intel NUC 12 Extreme with i7-12700, 64GB RAM, with W10 Pro. But different video cards.

One had a Quadro RTX4000 - this was driving a 9216x1728 wall via 3 DP outs/slices into a Novastar H5.

The other had an RTX 3070 driving 2 walls - 1 2688x576 and 1 768x960 via a single MCTRL4K (don't remember if I used HDMI or DP, but it was a direct connection.

Systems were identical except the video cards (running latest Resolume and appropriate video card driver at that time) We started having the flickering random flickering on the system with the 3070 after about a day of running. Would be fine for hours, then randomly start flickering for a few minutes, then stop again for hours.
Swapped input cables, ports on the computer, eventually the whole computer. We suspected it may be dirty power or something. Or a short in a cable. But trying to move cables around, stomp on under-carpet power lines, etc, and nothing we did could get it to happen.

Not sure that it I can narrow it down to the 3070 being the issue though.

I used the same PC with the 3070 at 3 other events after that and didn't see any flickering, different setups but all used multiple outputs into 1 or more Novastar processor. H5, MCRTL R5, VX600

About 3 months ago I did another large wall - 8832x960. Same computer with the 3070 into the H5 via 2 DP cables. Started having the same flickering again. Tried a bunch of stuff to fix it. Swapped DP cables, and data cables feeding the wall. Went to a backup computer. Changed the split between the 2 outputs from 50/50 to 70/30. Reoriented the slices to use a single 4416x1920 output instead of 2 8832x960 outs.
Still didn't fix the issue.

So I ended up cutting the video in half and positioning one half over the other and encoding it that way. Then redid the mapping in Novastar to move them back - left and right instead of top/bottom. Played it in MPC-HC and didn't have any more flickering issues.

I always run everything at 60Hz, but don't genlock or use any other synchronization. But I don't think that should be needed as I'm always driving everything from 1 source PC into 1 processor. I've had the issue both with videos encoded at 60fps and with ones encoded at 29.97fps.
I do leave Resolume's composition frame rate set to Auto. Should I manually set that to 60?

My panels are Unilumin UPAD III and IV. I've also used it with DesignProLED LED spheres using Novastar and Mooncell processors - but in those cases I never saw issues. I did have UPAD III on different slice/output on the same PC.
I've used the UPADS 3 and 4's a lot this year along with the H series, so I know the panels and processing is good.
I've also haven't had any flickering issues with Resolume while using that hardware.
We had a 4 day studio shoot with this setup and All the gear was left on for 4 days without issues.
The only thing that comes to mind was reading 'NUC' and wondering if it's power related? PSU underpowered? System(BIOS)/Windows power settings? How are your thermals?
I have 1060, 2070, 2080, 2080ti, 3070, 3080, 3080ti, 4080, A5000 machines, All of which have been up to date on drivers when they are first released and I've yet to see this happen. We've had 1 festival this year use those Upad/H series setups and had about 4 guests a day on that stage (I was House VJ as well) and no one was having issues either, This would have been around the time of 7.13 I believe.

I'm curious, would you be able to use some monitoring software like HWinfo or CPU/GPU-z and see what your voltage and thermals are when using Resolume and all of these outputs, vs using something like MPC-HC or VLC. I don't think your issue is LED related, and I don't think it's Resolume related as thousands of users aren't screaming bloody murder. I've used your setup (Minus your PC) and everything is stable. So I feel it's coming back to power? Very strange indeed!

On a side note, On the H series, under the HDMI settings you can force full RGB range. I'm not sure if that's available for DP as I haven't tried it on DP before, but I know if you set your nvidia settings to Full RGB And have the H series force it, you will extend your range past 0 and 255 and the panels don't like that and will start to give off that green (or in some panels case red) confetti/sparkles. It doesn't cause the entire wall to flicker but your panels wont be happy lol. Just something else to keep in mind when using the H series and info to pass along to your guests if they tie in.

kapil8589

Post by kapil8589 »

How is it going with version 7.16? Are things back to normal with the latest drivers for the graphics and the latest windows updates?

Are you running windows 10 or 11?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

mr_angelback wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 20:36 What if there is something in some of the latest nvidia drivers that is not working correctly with the resolume software?
That's what we're thingking too, so would be worth trying out a Studio driver from 1-2 years ago.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 21:30
mr_angelback wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 20:36 What if there is something in some of the latest nvidia drivers that is not working correctly with the resolume software?
That's what we're thingking too, so would be worth trying out a Studio driver from 1-2 years ago.
With laptops, should it matter ASUS vs MSI vs Razer vs Clevo in terms of GPU and how the drivers perform? Razers and the latest drivers (since 2017) have been stable. ASUS has been as well and I haven't heard anything from my buddy who uses MSI's so I would assume they all perform the same with the same drivers, right? If not, that changes a lot of things.
I know MSI comes with some bloatware that if you don't remove can cause issues (may have been fixed by now, this was from a year or two ago).
But besides stuff like that and power settings, all these different laptops should perform the same, right?

kapil8589

Post by kapil8589 »

Running windows 10 with the latest updates, 3080 Graphic card with the latest drivers which were released on the 8th of August and back tracked to resolume version 7.10.It worked well, didn't show any issue at all.

I back tracked to nvidea driver two years back , version 527 or something with the latest windows update, it caused my system to crash, so I immediately installed the latest drivers. I also switched off the Hardware accelerated GPU settings inside windows display settings (under advanced display settings).

See if this works for you guys too. If you have any updates please keep me posted. Thank you.