Layer controls GUI option for Autopilot?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
4ndrw
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Layer controls GUI option for Autopilot?

Post by 4ndrw »

Hey handsome users and developers!

My you're all looking fine

I had a feature request, been thinking it for a while, had a quick search and couldn't find a thread on it already in the more recent few pages of results.

I would love the option to see and adjust the autopilot status of a layer, in the "layer controls" section.
It'd be great to have an instant overview of what is happening, and be able to more conveniently adjust things without having to delve into the layer settings.

I've found this more of a stumbling block if I'm getting more novice operators to jump onto a file built by a more advanced user. For example, I might have some layers switching around automatically to provide extra variation while I'm occupied with other tasks and while I have a mental map of what is doing what, I see this provides confusion for them. Some stuff starts changing by itself and some stuff doesn't. Getting them to dive into layer settings, and minimise and maximise the appropriate areas to find that setting... adds an extra few steps when they're already getting overloaded with new information.

However, I also believe it would be beneficial for more advanced users too, much like it's great seeing the layer transition time, it'd also be a time saver, it's often several clicks and a bit of scrolling to get to that setting and an accessible onscreen control may work better for seeing it's status and changing it's settings than going through the hoops of midi mapping/keyboard mapping or creating an OSC control surface for it.

Much like Layer transition controls or layer transport controls... having the option to disable these from being seen, would mean that people who don't care about this, needn't have it cluttering their screens...

I think it would be a swell addition to the arsenal of tools available, what do you think?

Ps.
Made another thread about autopilot loop count defaults today, can find that here:
viewtopic.php?t=22846
Attachments
resolume autopilot feature request.png
resolume autopilot feature request.png (33.35 KiB) Viewed 22170 times
Last edited by 4ndrw on Mon Oct 16, 2023 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

4ndrw

Re: Layer controls GUI option for Autopilot?

Post by 4ndrw »

here's the roughest mockup the world has ever seen

I'm sure it could easily be topped!

(though it makes me wonder if viewing the controls could be toggled per layer? would that be useful and reduce visual noise on some comps? or maybe that's making controls too granular... idk!)
Attachments
resolume autopilot feature request2.png
resolume autopilot feature request2.png (34.26 KiB) Viewed 22167 times

4ndrw

Re: Layer controls GUI option for Autopilot?

Post by 4ndrw »

alternatively, maybe a dropdown, in a similar style to the "loop" controls, would be a far better way to go about it....
Attachments
resolume autopilot feature request3.png
resolume autopilot feature request3.png (51.09 KiB) Viewed 22164 times