Sound reactive Wire patches

Post your awesome Wire patches here, share tutorials
mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Sound reactive Wire patches

Post by mowgli »

I'm just getting into Wire and I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if you can't actually see the results of fft inside Wire.
This: https://resolume.com/support/en/wire-fft
explains how to select the audio input once back in Resolume, but how do you do this while creating the patch in Wire?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Sound reactive Wire patches

Post by Arvol »

You would need to build out your patch in Wire and then periodically save it to see the updated results while testing in Arena. Would be nice to have the ability to test audio reactive patches in Wire natively one day :)

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

Thanks.
I find this to be a BIG oversight. It heavily impairs the ability to make sound-reactive patches. It should be a big priority to implement this!

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

I have to say I'm getting quite frustrated with this.
If I have both Arena and Wire open at the same time my system becomes unresponsive. Is the only way to edit sound reactive patches to keep opening and closing Wire to preview what you're doing in Resolume?
I just had Resolume crash as I saved a Wire patch that was running in it.

I only bought Wire because I thought it was going to open up the doors to creating great sound-reactive patches amongst many other things. My experience so far has been of complete frustration, constant crashes, poor documentation and feeling that I've wasted my money!
Sound reactive patches created entirely in Resolume are way more responsive and I had no problems with them...

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

We totally agree creating audio reactive patches is not up to par yet.
We'll be looking into this soon because its a nuisance to us as well.
The Spectrum data itself is not that trivial to work with and indeed having a test signal to work with would be very convenient, right now i often use some test data (random node) to see how my patch responds.

So yes, we'll want to make sure this is improved upon.
Until then this patch could serve as a good starting point. It uses the 32 bands of the Spectrum to draw circles that scale and interpolate between 2 colors.
Spectrum1.wire
(67.62 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

Regarding the stability, i maybe be biased of course but i think Wire actually runs really stable and i haven't experienced issues while creating audio reactive patches.

mowgli

Post by mowgli »

Thanks a lot for your reply and patch!
Much appreciated.