Wheel mouse issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
EBMCreative
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Wheel mouse issue

Post by EBMCreative »

Is there a way to disable a wheel mouse from change the sliders for speed or opacity on the left hand side of the clip layout?

I am having an issue with staff not paying attention to where the mouse is before they start moving the wheel and are adjusting speed of things that should never be adjust without purpose. Especially the composition speed.

And yes I have told the staff almost everyday for weeks to pay attention and stop using the wheel in those areas. It's not working. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Any help would be appreciated.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Wheel mouse issue

Post by Arvol »

In the meantime while you're waiting for this feature to be built out (if it happens at all?). You could build out 3-5 keyboard shortcuts mapped to the letter "S" (for Speed) and set each of the group, comp, and selected clips speed values back to a value of 1, so if a user accidentally messes something up, just have them press the letter "S" as a quick reset without having to restart anything.

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Well I feel better that I'm not a moron missing a preference. But I'm sad that it's not a feature.

Sadly I already have speed control shortcuts.
This would be a perfect thing for my timecode triggers I would like so that when the timecode resets to start the loop again it would automatically trigger the speed to normal.

I'm revolting against paying extra for this and having to add and pay evenmore for additional software past just a plugin. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

So we have some club animations and cycles on different layers depending on the day of the week and what headliner djs are upcoming for the next few weeks. These need to stay at a speed of 1. I have shortcuts set for the start of the night that resets the speed on everything that needs to stay at 1. Of course now I need to add the composition speed to that as they got to that. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

But the issue is if they don't pay attention which they rarely do they will never push the reset for the speed.

I'm just shocked a little bit that you can turn off all the extra controls for many things but you can't turn off or hide the controls for speed or opacity.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, IMO adding a lock feature to the cog wheel contextual menu would be nice, that way any parameter with a cog wheel could be locked.

Another workaround could be to set an envelope for all of your speeds and have the start and end point both be at 1, that way the envelope would render the slider useless as it's only going to send out a value of 1.

Just thinking outside the box :)

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Thank you for that idea. Very helpful.

Yes I run resolume for important headliners or for special events. But the owners know and don't want me to waste my time running for djs 10 hours a night 365days a year.

Yes the club is open that much.

They need my expertise to keep all the screens working at 100%. So that eats up some daytime. And I'm also creating custom content. So if I'm stuck running shows everyday they are wasting money and experience and not getting everything else they need me to do.

It's rough enough getting phone calls 30 minutes before open and having to rush to the club and fix people's @&$% ups.

And I belive in paying for software and content. I don't belive in cracked software. So one thing I always do with any client is force them to buy the software. Not just resolume but all software. Then I feel I have the right to expect the software to funtion properly and ask for fixes/features.

And I try not to bring a competing software in to the discussion. But that does happen sometimes. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

And my main background is lighting and grandma is my prefered lighting console. Been doing this for 30+ years. Yeah I'm kind of new to resolume. So I feel like a moron with some of my questions. But you always learns something new everyday.

Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Yeah, this can indeed cause unwanted changes, we have a ticket for that and look into what would be the best solution.

Do you guys use the scrollwheel to change parameters in Arena?

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Rarely if ever.

I prefer keypad

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

For me, Scroll wheel only for UI scrolling, nothing else, ever!
Adding a lock to the param cog wheel seems to be a good solution. Locks that UID to the current value and can't be changed while the lock bool is active. Just my 2 cents.

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Yes. That is how I use it too.

But I'm also getting away from the scroll wheel entirely.

We Have an apc mk 40 and have set the a/b mixer as a slider to scroll through clips left to right.

The wheel mouse is really... Pardon my explitive..... @&#%$&# $&%# up.

Not everyone is experienced. And even myself have done it. But I know when I do and fix it. Non experienced operators(not programers) don't always catch it and don't think about it.

MarekPRO
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by MarekPRO »

We have the same problem asking me why the backrounds are lagging and always I found that someone moved group speed or composition speed slider down with mouse wheel I would be really happy if this was removed.