FFGL in Rust + Bulk ISF -> FFGL converter

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
optiphonic
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

FFGL in Rust + Bulk ISF -> FFGL converter

Post by optiphonic »

Hey!

I've been working on a FFGL library for Rust. I find it a good platform for high performance computing.

https://github.com/edeetee/ffgl-rs
screenshot.png
I've put in an effort to tidy up the code and make it well structured for someone else to contribute.

So far, I've got it automatically converting ISF files to FFGL plugins. Bit of a niche use case, as wire can do this too, but this is faster and should serve as a good example of how to write plugins.

It only runs on macos at the moment, it shouldn't require much work on windows, outside making sure OpenGL is linked in properly.

Please let me know if it interests you at all :)

producation

Re: FFGL in Rust + Bulk ISF -> FFGL converter

Post by producation »

Seems like an awesome idea. I tried porting many of the Vidvox and Shadertoy files into Wire but it's not that easy, to say the least. The simple error messages in the Log don't help most of the times.
I haven't touched Rust yet, but getting started with FFGL is pretty high up my list when I can spare time to deep dive.
Since Wire isn't capable of vertex shader is it possible to use the application as a wrapper? I've watched a few FFGL demos with imported 3D assets in Arena.

optiphonic

Re: FFGL in Rust + Bulk ISF -> FFGL converter

Post by optiphonic »

producation wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 20:09 Seems like an awesome idea. I tried porting many of the Vidvox and Shadertoy files into Wire but it's not that easy, to say the least. The simple error messages in the Log don't help most of the times.
I haven't touched Rust yet, but getting started with FFGL is pretty high up my list when I can spare time to deep dive.
Since Wire isn't capable of vertex shader is it possible to use the application as a wrapper? I've watched a few FFGL demos with imported 3D assets in Arena.
Awesome, good to hear that you think there's room for improvement with how Wire is doing it.
I've tried to put effort into making the logging functionality good - using rust's tracing library for logging.
I've noted that the gl error don't seem to give good line numbers - might have to integrate with something like glslangValidator for that.

Implementing the vertex shaders is definitely a possibility. I haven't used the ISF vertex shaders yet myself, but if I come across some interesting uses for it I might end up getting around to it.