Trials and tribulations of OS Choice

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
wuzzle
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Trials and tribulations of OS Choice

Post by wuzzle »

Prepping for New Years Eve the past couple days has been rather... stressful ;)

Everything seemed to be working fine and I had another 200 clips edited. My OS of choice of late has been Vista Ultimate, as it came with the bundled parts when I built the machine. I have a dedicated internal Sata drive for clips.

Suddenly, things started to operate very badly, and Resolume 3 would give an application fault with no errors in the Resolume produced logfile.

Consistently, loading about 3-4 clips in layer one, and a couple in layer two with no effects, one of the clips would start stuttering and the others, even post load, would operate fine. The stuttering one when closed would crash the app and you'd be back on desktop.

So I dug on the drive shelf, found a 160 gig sata and rebuilt my machine with XP Pro last night. Sadly even that took a couple tries due to another gotcha people are starting to notice with XP SP3 and HD Audio drivers from Realtek. (Onboard sound, generally) It attempts to patch the system and install the drivers, but fails, leaving you with a machine that has half a driver which will not uninstall. ;) Since it's so entrenched, it was quicker to reinstall the stupid OS Back to a clean SP2. I hate MS some times. (but then, I'm a MCSE and it's my prerogative)

So Vista is out the window. Onwards and upwards for tonight's 12 hour gig. Gee I hope they make enough to pay me. :cry:

Machine specs:
Silverstone Sugo SG04B-H Black SFF microATX Case (small, takes full length vidcard & full-sized power supply)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3 GHz
2 Gig DDR2 PC2-6400 Ram
Asus P5E-VM HDMI Motherboard (microATX)
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC 512MB PCIe 2.0
VJ Wuzzle
Shakti Collective - Toronto, Canada

wuzzle
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Trials and tribulations of OS Choice

Post by wuzzle »

*post gig update*

12 hours. 12 painful hours. :lol:

I'm very pleased to say I weathered the entire New Years event, with nary a crash or slowdown. (it stuck around 60fps with 3 layers on the go all night) Sadly, in the party fervor, I forgot to record. :oops:

My partner had to use Resolume 2 for the actual flash countdown and animated text, but a job well done.

Bring on the FFT audio in and flash support and I'm sure

Heck, they even paid, will wonders never cease?

Happy New Year to everyone, may this be a fun and profitable 2009!
VJ Wuzzle
Shakti Collective - Toronto, Canada