3D plug-in?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Godzil
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

3D plug-in?

Post by Godzil »

After "Avatar" movie few party orgs asking me about 3D projection :geek:
Is it possible, in some way, to create 3d effect?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: 3D plug-in?

Post by Joris »

Hey Godzil

3D projection has been possible for a long time. Depending on what your budget is there are several ways to do it, ranging from relatively simple 1 projector setups with red/green glasses to high end 3d monitors that work without the need for glasses.

If you're just getting your feet wet with this, I suggest starting with Googling for 'anaglyph' and 'stereoscopic', which are two commonly used terms in regards to 3D.

Joris

pleasuretek
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by pleasuretek »

Also look into nvidia's solution... And video files cannot be turned into 3d (without more time than you have to commit). You need a realtime mesh (known vertex coords) to render two versions of a single scene, each render pass has the camera position adjusted to compensate for the human eyes being spread apart.

So its not like we will ever have a plugin to make video pop, but if you do all realtime 3d generative stuff, the option is there. Oh and the projector used needs to be 3d vision capable.
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

And video files cannot be turned into 3d
True... I have been playing around with the idea of putting whole layers on different 3d-depths though. Haven't had the time to do proper testing, but that shouldn't be too hard to achieve...

deftlyd
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by deftlyd »

I've used Resolume 2 for 3D video sample performance for a few years now and am about to work on a solution on a TripleHead2Go with Resolume Avenue for a performance tentatively scheduled for August 27th in the Boston area. The new set up will use the left and right screens for left and right eye perspectives and leave the center projection for a separate video stream.

Here's info on our initial solution - http://www.nauzeeaun.com/nzn/3dvsam.htm

If anyone has ideas to improve this set up without blowing the bank, feel free to post a reply to this.

Deftly
http://www.nauzeeaun.com

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

I have a wide experience in autostereoscopic (3D glasses free) content. If anyone wants any information about it, feel free to contact me.
In advance, I can tell you that the actual autostereoscopic technology will not adapt to Avenue anyway.
Autostereoscopic content uses from 5 to 9 different views of the same render. For the ones used to 3D animation, production will take at least 5 different renders and/or the use of expensive plugins to render all views.
Then you need a special player that will interpretate distinguish video files and send them approprietely to the autostereoscopic display device. I am used to work with 22" to 47" display devices. Player do not support mixings (no way!! ; ))
There´s also a 2D+Z autostereoscopic technique. That means an RGB file + a depth map correspondent image. Production is way more simple but result is not as good as the multiview technique (paralax visualization).
So far... by default, a 3D MIDIA projection cannot be glasses free. Do not take 3D mapping projections as 3D MIDIA projections, because that´s an entire different thing.
Nowadays it is possible to combine a multiview autostereoscopic content in a single multiplex mp4 video file. Yet, we would still need avenue to accept the filetype and interpretate the views. Not to mention the display device. Still, the autostereoscopic 3D effect cannot be compared to the stereoscopic movie projections. It is more like a "lounge type" of display.

mackie

Post by mackie »

Hiya, Im Very interested in the 3d Projection work you have done. I too have been trying differant methods of Anaglyph and Stereoscopic projections. I recently became interested in Making my own footage and am looking to buy a few GOPRO's for my footage. Im also about to spend a hefty chunk on some Projectors that are 3d ready. I have been Renting High End Hitachi projectors and rear projecting with some success via Anaglyph.
im interested in your knowledge of which projectors (pair) you suggest i get for 3d footage. And id like to learn more about this multi view projections you get 3d without glasses. Im eventually wanting to incorporate 3d footage with My 3d mapping. Heres a short video . The Dj booth wasnt 3d footage, but the outside screens were with about 40% of the footage actually having a 3d effect. This was a Highschool show we put on with about 1500 in attendance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9T59_DJTc

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

mackie wrote:... And id like to learn more about this multi view projections you get 3d without glasses. Im eventually wanting to incorporate 3d footage with My 3d mapping...
As I said, there´s no way to project autostereoscopic (no glasses) content nowadays. There´s no such technology available yet.
3D projections are not 3D Midia projections. They are visual optical effects.
Course, stereoscopic projections WITH glasses are possible.

balunium

Post by balunium »

So anyone knows if i have stereoscopic encoded footage, and 3d capable videoprojector if there is a plugin or something playback 3d content within resolume?

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

goto10 wrote:True... I have been playing around with the idea of putting whole layers on different 3d-depths though. Haven't had the time to do proper testing, but that shouldn't be too hard to achieve...
I also had this idea some time ago. There is a test FFGL somewhere on my disk, which is supposed to "move" a layer on the z-axis and has anaglyph as output. For reasons of time, I stopped this interesting experiment... :cry:

I also tried to playback stereoscopic content (side-by-side) with Resolume 4 (Left:960*1080; Right 960*1080 --> 1920*1080) and sent it via HDMI to a 3D-TV. Worked without problems :)

I guess it depends on your beamer.