Layer Routing workflow

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Layer Routing workflow

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Which of these take less GL resources/would be faster to screen? Probably not that much of a delay, but every ms counts!

Load Layer 1 and 2 as normal.

Layer 3 is the one in question.
Would it be faster to use layer router to load the needed layer/clip onto layer 3 as shown or duplicate the clip from the layer and load it separately.
Attachments
Router Workflow.png

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Layer Routing workflow

Post by Joris »

Good question.

In the example you show, the difference is negligible to non-existent. Creating a solid source is so trivial, there's no real benefit in copying vs creating it again.

Should you be using a clip, using the layer router would be faster. Otherwise, the pixels would need to be read twice from disk.

Note that the layer router is only faster when it's routing a layer underneath it in the stack. Should you have your layer router on layer 1, and route in layer 3, you'll get 1 frame delay. This is because when layer 1 needs to render, layer 3 has not rendered yet. In these cases, it will access the previous frame from layer 3.

If your video is running at 30 fps, and Resolume at 60 fps, you'll probably won't notice this, because the frames will be the same anyway for that render pass. But it could become a problem when you have less overhead in your fps count.

Layer routers are a bit weird when it comes to this stuff, so I hope that made some sense ;)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Layer router is one of my favorite features and I use it all the time to "keyframe" live clips during live shows. I've had up to 28 layers with no noticeable fps drop and it would look something like this:

- 1-13: 13 clips layers
- 14: 1 blackout layer - black clip at 100% Add to mask layers 1-13
- 15-27: 13 routing layers where 15 routes 1, 16 routes 2, etc..
- 28 overall effect layer

By using the [Ignore Column Trigger] feature on layers 1-13, this lets me do transitions between video clips and also apply different effects & transform parameters to a video clip without relaunching it when I don't know the exact timing and I don't want to use DMX.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

What about something like a DVI or SDI source? Since the stream isn't necessarily read from disc.
Would multiple instances of a DVI source be the same as a hardware router or would the layer router still be better?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I use Resolume Arena 4 as a software switch all the time and it works great. It makes it easy to manage graphics and lower thirds!

The router works great with other sources as well but if you route single layers, you don't really need to use the router since sources from capture cards are constant and you can apply various effects in successive clips without delay.

hive8

Post by hive8 »

Learned something today from fob67cry. Thank you for showing me your workflow.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Here is the workflow just in case anyone else needs it:

Let's say you only have 1 video clip, here is what you would do from bottom to top:

- Layer 1: 1st video clip
- Layer 2: Black slide at 100% Add- I use the [Solid Color with 0% brightness]
- Layer 3: Layer router of layer 1

If you want to apply different effects to your clip in layer 1, all you have to do is use [Ignore Column Trigger] in Layer 1 and use the layer routers in layer 3 to make changes.

Take a look at the attached comp.
Layer Router Example.avc
(50.01 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
I used the Orange-Strings-07_720p_DXV video clip available for download at http://resolume.com/gfx/dxv/OrangeStrings_720p_DXV.zip.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

I use layer router all the time to do different screens, just trying to figure the best way.
I attached my composition as well as the config so you can see the advanced output settings.

1-6 : main mixing
7 : Text layer for main club screen
8-10 : router for screens behind tables, 3 screens, 1 LED card
11 : Text later for table screens
12-13 : Split screen for large overhead outdoor LED
14 : Full screen for overhead LED, covers the split screen.
15 : Text layer for overhead LED
Attachments
Layer Router.zip
AVC and config.xml
(26.86 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Hey DirtyJohn_LV, the config.xml you sent is not your advanced output settings. You'll find it under: Resolume Arena 4>presets>screensetup.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

They are embedded xml in the configuration file I checked before copying from the main machine.