OSC/MIDI mapping the Mapping

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

OSC/MIDI mapping the Mapping

Post by yochee »

Can mapping objects (slice, mask..) be mapped via MIDI/OSC/DMX? Can MIDI be assinged to the ASS?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: OSC/MIDI mapping the Mapping

Post by Joris »

When requesting features for software development, it is usually far more effective to describe an actual use case of what you would like to do, than to ask for a certain implementation.

So, in short, the answer to your question is no, it's not possible. And the answer to your next question is no, we're not going to make this possible either.

But, I would like to ask you in return, what are you trying to do exactly? Because maybe we have things planned that will make it possible to do what you want, just in a different way.

yochee

Post by yochee »

Hey Joris,

Okay, sounds a little frustrated there lol. I am very sorry that I ask before I just request, but I wasn't quite sure if it's already possible. So basically I just want to black out slices and masks when playing a MIDI/OSC sequence from ableton. I just now found another thread about the topic, which dates back to 2014
viewtopic.php?t=11312

I know that your chaser plugin just does something like that. Until now for Mapping I usually am using Visution Mapio, because it gives me a lttle more freedom (+edge detection works on slices/masks very well + Preview of the overall Mapping Composition in the Resolume preview monitor) and I think chasers can not be combined with Mapio..

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Sorry, it was not my intention to sound frustrated lol.

I'm glad you took the time to explain what you would like to do. This makes it clear that your request falls under a broader set of requests, that all relate to working with stages that go beyond a single fullscreen output.

You can read all about how we're planning on tackling this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12671&p=51830#p51830. In short, it comes down to that turning a slice on or off to show or hide content is a bit backwards. The only time you would need to turn a slice on or off, is when that screen is physically removed or added to the stage during the show. In all other situations, having something visible on a certain screen is just a matter of content, i.e. showing or hiding that content in that area.

Btw, when you start thinking about using the composition as an input map, I think you'll find that you can combine many techniques together, including Chaser and Mapio.

SystemD

Post by SystemD »

yochee wrote: Until now for Mapping I usually am using Visution Mapio
With Mapio, you can control in OSC the differents points and some parameters. For a project, i've made a little app in max to record 8 different configurations (up to six slices for this project).

And it's free to download ;)

http://divisionpixel.com/applications/v ... o-presets/

yochee

Post by yochee »

thanx systemD! I didn't try it yet, but it looks great!

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

Joris wrote:When requesting features for software development, it is usually far more effective to describe an actual use case of what you would like to do, than to ask for a certain implementation.
I currently use in most VJ presentations a videowall setup, meaning using several led displays in different layout arrays.^
For instance, 12 screen setup would present 03 rows, 04 screens on each. Duh..
I don´t have so many video outputs, as clients would't like to pay the proper price for controlling each screen individually.
The artistic workaround is to produce content ready divided/sliced on screens while I use one single slice to display the full image. It is all math and the content fits easily, although there´s some loss of quality per screen - only the whole image is full hd based.
Well, for a a more dynamic control, let´s say I´d like to white flash/strobe selected screens according to music. I already do that by creating specific animated videoclip with white/black screens blinking randomly. But that´s not enough.
I wish I could "pianno play" keys to flash/strobe selected screens as desired, with full control. For that I would also create one slice for each screen and I would like to have the ability to turn on/off slices on the fly. What about it?

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

@Joris, I see you argument in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12671&p=51830#p51830 and totally agree - for a professional performance setup! However, there are situations for which it would make sense to have the most common switches of Advanced Output controllable via midi.

I.e. time-crucial tasks. Often you simply are not given the right amount of time for a perfect setup and then it makes a lot of sense to i.e. enable/disable outputs as a quickly switcher. Think of it as professional quick-fixes for less professional situations.
Related: for configuration/setup I like the speediness of midi controllers. Way faster then grabbing a mouse, opening a window, fishing and clicking a button. Simply hammer some midi keys and quickly enable/disable outputs, slices, masks, lumiverses..

+1 for midi assignable Advanced Output buttons.

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

+1 for MIDI assignable outputs

Amazing work, SystemD. Will check this out now.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Okay, let's walk through a basic example. Let's assume we have a stage consisting of 5 LED pillars. In the processor they are positioned like this:
Output.png
On the stage, they look like this:
Input.png
Nothing spectacular. right?

Now obviously, you're going to want to have a look where you have one image spanning the stage, and one look where content is duplicated on each of the 5 screens.

What your first move will be, is to take these slices as they are, duplicate them and re-arrange them so they take the center of the comp as input. Then let's say we make it possible to assign midi shortcuts to slices. So you'll assign a midi shortcuts for these 5 new slices, as well for the five original ones. Great, you can fade two looks in and out.

Now, let's say you want to mix and match layers like this. You'll need to start routing layers. This means that for each layer, you'll end up with 10 slices, 5 for the fullscreen look, 5 for the duplicated look. 2 shortcuts each. But you probably want granular control over each slice, so it's more likely somewhere between 5 to 10 shortcuts for each routed layer. Pretty soon, your Advanced Output is a mess of 100+ slices, and 50+ shortcuts to remember. Now you're probably smart enough to use the same shortcut on more than one slice, for toggling looks with one button. Still, switching from look to look for a few layers in one go is going to take more fingers than I have on one hand. Even if we add the ability to switch presets via Midi, the permutations will end up killing you. "Oh crap, I need one more layer. Oh well, let me just update my 27 presets."

Imagine having more than a basic setup of 5 screens. Do Midi shortcuts sound like the way to go for that?

What we suggest is the following: set up your Advanced Output once. One slice for each screen. Close it and leave it alone.

In the composition, apply a Slice Transform effect on each layer, using the five slices from your AO setup. If you want to have the layer fill the stage, put it on Mask. If you want to duplicate the content, put it on Fill.
Mask.png
Fill.png
There, you're done. It doesn't get any quicker than this.

All of these are midi assignable. If you want to show content only in a single slice, bypass or delete the others. You can even make presets for these looks, and copy them to other layers to mix and match. Do you want a single clip to use a different look? Apply the Slice Transform on the clip.

Bonus advantage, your preview monitor looks like your stage. Do you want to mirror the look? Instead of creating yet another 40 slices with 40 shortcuts, just use a mirror effect.
MixAndMatch.png
Funnily enough, this is essentially what Mapio does as well. Except it's Resolume native, and you don't have make your slices twice. I'm not saying that Midi shortcuts won't help in a pinch, but I am 100% certain that Slice Transforms (and the other ideas we have in store) are just as fast, if not faster, and are much more versatile in the long run.